PAD Challenge: Checking in

It is day 18 of writing a poem a day and I've written 21 poems! Half of them are awesomely bad sonnets for my Juno series, but I finally have drafts down on paper.

I'm not lying when I say my sonnets are bad. No meter, terrible end rhymes. But there's something about the story that's compelling. They were easier to write than I thought; I can sit down and have two or three done in a few hours. I'll finish the series, write my drafts, and then decide if they're worth keeping.

**** 

Why do I do this to myself twice a year? Sometimes I think writing is about quantity, not quality--at first. I talk a good game about staying open, but doing it is another. And somehow, after a week, finding the time becomes much easier. Sixteen days into it, writing a poem a day has become a habit. There's a rhythm to this type of devotion, which requires a certain amount of sacrifice. It also takes the pressure of writing the perfect poem every time I open my journal.  

I tell my students if writing is the most important thing in our lives, then making time for it shouldn't be a problem. Writing a poem a day puts me to the test. 

****

It also helps to have a cheering squad. This month, there are five of us writing poems daily. We share them via email without judgement or comment. We do read them and comment if we feel so moved. Honestly, I'm glad no one is commenting. I like not having to explain or edit anything. It's like walking around naked without anyone telling you about your big butt. Our writing is flawed, no need to point out the obvious.

****

I struggled with a better example than the one listed above. Couldn't come up with one.


Comments

Popular Posts