Confession Tuesday

Actor from The Ride bus tour, Times Square. Photo by Alex O'Neil


Happy Tuesday folks! Time for confessions. Here we go.

****

The kids are I are fresh off of our trip to New York City. What an honor it was to read with the Academy of American Poets with Ross Gay and Meena Alexander. It's hard to get on anyone's radar screen these days so it's nice to be included with an organization that has been a part of my writing career from the start.

But what meant the most to me was having Alex and Ella in the audience. What I'm hoping is that they make a connection between me doing what I love and the places your passions can take you. I want my children to realize someday that it was my poems that brought us to NYC. And if they work hard enough, they can create a rich and full life by doing what makes them happy.

Isn't that what we all want?

****
I am woefully behind on my poem a day challenge. I think I'm down by 10 poems. But I should be able to catch up because this week I'll be traveling with some poet friends to Millay Colony for a weeklong writers retreat. I did this two years ago and found the experience extremely productive. I'll work on m'script #3, revise the Juno poems--which may or may not turn into book #4, and catch up on my reading. And, of course, write more poems!

****

I have a few poems coming out, but I haven't submitted poems to journals in six months. And, I'm OK with that. When you write a poem a day, those poems need to sit before being released into the wild.

****

Overall, I've been relatively lazy. I mean, I haven't had the desire to create a to-do list. Even if there are things to do, I don't want to do them. What's wrong with me?

****

God, I *heart* summer.


Comments

Anonymous said…
You're worried that you're behind 10 poems? I'm just amazed that you've written 51 so far this year! That's fantastic! And you'll write a bunch at Millay Colony. You're one productive woman!!
January said…
Now, many of those poems won't see the light of day. But when I do a challenge, I go all in!

Popular Posts